Metro Beat

Print Friendly

Kudos to the good folks at Stop & Shop as the company donated more than $2 million to hunger relief organizations across the Northeast due to loyal participation from its customers. According to the Greater Boston Food Bank, for every dollar donated they can provide three meals to those in need, so the combined efforts from Stop & Shop New England and Stop & Shop New York Metro divisions will help provide more than 6 million meals! “As we head into our 100th year and as we celebrate the successes that we have achieved over the years, we also reflect on how we can continue to grow and help support communities for the future,” said Joe Kelley, president of Stop & Shop New England Division. “We are so grateful for our customers and for their continued support in making our hunger relief programs so successful.”

“Stop & Shop is committed to being a good neighbor,” added Don Sussman, president of Stop & Shop New York Metro Division. “Helping our communities, whether it be through monetary or food donations, is always a top priority for us as a company.” Stop & Shop raised more than 1.5 million dollars through its Food for Friends program this past holiday season of which 60 percent was donated to the local hunger relief agency or food pantry each store adopted and the remaining 40 percent was donated directly to regional food banks. Well done!

And, just as we went to press, on Valentine’s Day, we learned that Gino Palummo has been named president of Bronx based Nebraskaland, one of the largest protein distributors in the Northeast. Palummo most recently served as SVP-director of business development at Key Food and prior to that had spent many years with Porky Products. We will have full details in the next issue of Food Trade News.

Well, that’s it for now. Let’s put away the scarves, gloves and heavy coats and I look forward to seeing you out at all of the upcoming selling shows and dinners. As always you can contact me at kgallagher@best-met.com or 201.250.2217